View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default T-5 first gear...who uses it, who doesn't?

I find myself seldom using first gear in my Cobra...unless I want to smoke 'em across an intersection, which doesn't happen often.

I'm just curious how many of y'all use first gear on a regular basis...do you or don't you?

Why?

For me first gear is more suited to parades than to everyday driving. I can start from a dead stop in 5th, so low-end torque from the engine isn't a problem...maybe too much multiplication from the first gear ratio?

I hate to admit it, but I use my T-5 almost like a 3 speed....second gear to get started from a stop, then to fourth for chugging around town, and fifth gear for freeway driving. Even with the huge rear tires on my Cobra there is plenty of power from a dead stop in second gear to burn rubber, and if I give it a bit of power before I release the clutch I can smoke 'em from a dead stop in 2nd, too.....

I'm guessing the factory differential gearing for the Mustang GT must have been pretty long....smallish tires and the need to keep R's down at highway speed to help the corporate fuel average?

Cheers!

Doug

No names were changed to protect the innocent!