View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

No pissing contest here on my part. I just keep pointing to the Registry. Just pointing to the Registry definitions based on the facts that developed in the past 15 years. Clearly have things changed in the time since the originals were last produced. Clearly the bias here is clear voiced nearly completely by non Shelby owners and by those with original cars.

Why it is such an issue for them is beyond me. They clearly have their own axe to grind. Owners of original cars here I guess want their cars to the only Cobras recognized. Owners of replicas or kits as defined by the Registry perhaps out of envy or sour grapes get pleasure out of knocking and trying to bring down what they don't have.

If your own personal opinion is the tired and hackyned phrase "if it wasn't made in the 60's its not an "authentic"/genuine/real (use adjective of choice) Cobra thats fine. That's your personal and meaningless opinion to which you are absolutely entitled. I'm not trying to disabuse you of letting the official definitions and recognition by SAAC interfere with your opinion. You are clearly more well versed and knowledgable than those compiling the current edition of the World Registry. Carry on gentlemen.

CSX3170: No dilemma at all. Both are recognized in the Registry as genuine items for what they purport to be. Shelby Cobras of the continuation series and Ford GTs.

Paul F: I haven't read the full text of the opinion but even if the Federal Judge did say the Continuation series are replicas, this technically is correct based on the dictionary definition of replica or kit cars since and they were sold at one point in a kit to the end owner and even if shipped to dealers because of DOT regs can't be shipped as a completed vehicle. However, the Registry analyzyes how the term "replica" and "kit" have been misused in the public domain and misapplied by the public to all these cars except for the originals. I can understand why the judge might use those terms. I doubt he used those terms to set the definition of what these cars are and how they should be recognized since the issue in that case was trade dress and trade mark issues. I don't recall the issue of what is to be considered a genuine or real Cobra being at issue. Don't think it was. The issue as I recall was whether others besides Shelby could manufacture a car with the shape of Cobras and use the marks associated with them and name. Further, I doubt the Federal judge was an expert in these matters and I don't think he was looking to set the definitions of what is and is not a genuine Cobra. This issue I don't believe was before him.

Plus the fact that you are looking to rely on and cling to some passing dicta in an opinion you say appears in a decision (was it even a published decision setting precedent?) as opposed to a legal holding in an age old Federal opinion confirms my statement that had the Registry defined the Continuation Series as "replicas" and/or "kits" you and the other detractors would be "all over it" and consider the issue settled. However, since it didn't work out the way you guys wanted in the new Registry the sore losers continue the argument based on their own personal views.

Knocking the Continuation Series will not make your original more valuable nor will it make replicas/kits more valuable. Recognizing Continuation Cobras as authentic Cobras will not detract from your cars either whether original or replica (as defined in the registry). What it will accomplish is stopping you from looking petty and/or like you are suffering from sour grapes.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-18-2013 at 02:57 PM..