CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal View Post
Hey Arno-

What's unsafe about the pedal position?
First of all, I know that the pedals are pretty far left due to the lay out of the car and to keep with the originality of the car, but we still don't like it. When sitting in a normal driving position (angled slightly left), the clutch pedal is where you would expect the brake pedal to be, and the gas pedal is where the brake pedal should be (all this in relation to the steering wheel). In an "emergency" situation, it could get very ugly very quickly if you mashed the wrong pedal, especially with that kind of power. I know a lot of pedal will say "just drive like a crab, sitting sideways the whole time". I don't think we have to resort to that, when the pedals can be moved to the right about one inch easily. Oh, and the current layout makes it harder to heel-and-toe also.
So the gas pedal will be bent to the right a bit, and the other two will have to be cut and rewelded towards the right as I don't want to bend them again (came with the bent from KMS and I don't want to weaken the metal by more bending).

Of course all this is mostly based on our opinion, but I have driven many, many cars, and this one is the only one that made me think "man this pedals are weird/this could be bad if someone hits the wrong ones!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Your car looks terrific.

I had a similar issue with the speedo in my Kirkham, although mine registered 180 whilst stationary (and clocked up miles).
The is a little purple loop of wire sticking out the back of the speedo and I was advised by KMS to cut it, which I did and it has been perfect ever since.

Paul
Thanks Paul!

Interesting about that loop....I might try it