View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

My opinion only...

But,

I recon there's some very important things to consider when you are insuring a Cobra.

1. Do you have the SALVAGE RIGHTS in the case of the Cobra being written off ?

2. Do you have choice of repairer when you need to make a claim?

3. Are the repairs then given a LIFETIME warranty ?

When getting any quotes...ask these specific questions...

I have been insured with LUMLEY SPECIAL VEHICLES, based in Melbourne, for many years.

I was recently shopping around to check that my current policy was competitive...and when I spoke to SHANNONS about Salvage Rights...
they advised that they "USED to include Salvage Rights, but now they DON'T".

I didn't go any further...

My theory has been that these Cobras never get stolen...(Touch wood ! Touch Wood ! ),
but plenty have been smashed.

Of course the insurance covers me if the car is pinched....
but getting all the really expensive bits back in the case of a bad prang ( Write off )...as well as getting the full payout....is VERY important to me.

I just phoned them now to again confirm...

They give salvage rights to cars OVER 25 years old...
AND,
Replicas of the old cars...i.e. COBRAS

They also charge REDUCED premiums for "Recreational cover"

I think there's two levels of this cover...
1. Drive it twice a month ?
2. Drive it 3 times a week.

Both are cheaper than FULL USE cover.
It's still Full Comprehensive Insurance, but tailored to our type of vehicle use.

Another tip...

If they ask if your engine is "modified"...be careful how you answer......what they are really looking for here is the "hoon" that builds up an engine on a normal production vehicle, to a point where it's unsafe...

I spoke to the manager of Lumleys about this ,because they had given an expensive quote to one of my club members who I had referred to them.

I explained to Lumleys that almost EVERY engine in an I.C.V. would be considered "Modified", and after explaining the difference to them , they agreed that this should not come into the calculation of insurance cover for Cobras.

Any problems...speak to Patricia De La Paz...She's the boss at LUMLEYS , Phone 133578 ...and we've discussed all of this.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm getting a spotters fee for any new customers...I aint...
It's just that I often get asked these questions from new or prospective Cobra owners.
I wish someone had been able to steer me in the right direction when I got the first Cobra...It would have saved me a lot of hassle!

Anyway...

That's ONLY my opinion...probably not worth two cents

Cheers,
Warren.

Last edited by Wazza; 09-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: added more