View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Rick.

Like yourself, I spent the best part of this year researching and looking for a cobra to buy. I've noted some of my experiences and tips below, which I hope help you along your way.

Firstly, I'd recommend to buy a few books from ebay - most are only $10 or $20 bucks. These are all British and American, but the best part is, I'm not going to suggest to read them, but to look at all the pictures and understand what you prefer more, or dislike about each vehicle, ie colour, dash set out, steering wheel, quick jacks or bumpers (or none), wheels, roll bar or two or none etc. This way you'll have a better understanding of what is value to you, when you start looking at them and their price. What is of value to a vendor, is not always of value to the seller - but always remember to respect the vendor's value!!! Check out the snakebite website for different parts costings too.

Secondly, just don't restrict yourself to carsales/carpoint. There is also autotrader, unique cars, just cars, ebay, gumtree etc.

BE PATIENT! don't rush into buying one of these cars. They have a small buyer's market, therefore will remain on the market for a while, and give you plenty of time to do your homework. Be upfront and let them know that you require a chassis and mechanical inspection before purchasing. This is where I would engage with Craig from Absolute Pace to carry out the inspection. I had one done this week and it is the best value of money spent throughout the whole buying process. At the very least have your local mechanic inspect (assuming you're not one yourself).

Join the QLD cobra club. You'll meet a stack load of people with the exact same interest and who will help you in many different ways - whether it is just discussing what you like or dislike, sources of parts and service, vehicles for sale that aren't advertised etc. You're lucky that you're in QLD as I would guess they have the highest concentration of any state - just my opinion and that could be debated by others!!!

The price variances are mainly the result of the manufacturer, age, kms, engine and running gear. Some of this has already been touched on above.

Lastly, get out to the manufacturers and have a look and ask them questions. Don't feel that because you're not buying a new vehicle, you're not deserving of their time. Remember the second hand vehicle you're buying, may free up that vendor, to buy a new one from the manufacturer you're talking to.

As Spookypt suggested, try and get to the nationals on Oct long weekend. It will expose you to the most keenest and enthusiastic of the cobra family on the eastern seaboard.

Visit and test drive as many as possible. Some might not let you test drive it on your first visit, but will definitely passenger you and then maybe on your second. Unfortunately there are a lot of tyre kickers and joy riders, and the vendors will look to weed you out in your first few minutes of the visit!

Lastly, with your budget, I'd be seriously thinking about getting one built by Absolute Pace. In my opinion, these are the best build in the industry at the moment, and the best value too. Definitely meet with Craig and have a visit.

Enough from me, back to sitting around waiting for this truck to arrive to deliver mine!!!

Good luck and share your stories from today!