View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just put a set of 3.73 in my Jag rear that had 3.23. I switched from a Jag/Spicer carrier to a Dana 44 carrier as it was easier to find gears and the carrier. To go up to the ratio you want, you would have to change the carrier and go with Dana 44 gears. The difference is the size of the bolts that hold the ring gear in place. Dana uses 3/8" and Jag uses 7/16". You can drill them out one way, but you would have to use spacers to go the other way. Not fun. Not sure if you can find Jag gears or not. Somebody told me they are making them again although they are not cheap.

Jag makes the carrier break between 3.54 and 3.76 ratios. If you want to put a gear numerically higher than 3.54, you need a carrier. Dana makes the break between 3.73 and 3.91. You would need the 19 spline style for the stub axles. Dana makes both the 19 and the 30.

I replaced the carrier, bearings, ring and pinion, and you have to replace the front coupler flange as the Dana 44 gears use a different spline pitch. Also, the front pinion bearings are a bit odd when you use Dana 44 gears. Nothing that cannot be done.

I have a complete Jag center section with a 4.56 gear if you want to rip your head off...LOL It worked great with the 6 speed in the car.

Last edited by joyridin'; 09-30-2013 at 11:29 AM..