Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     
Default 514 cam stuff for Dennis

Dennis,

Welcome to the madness...

Your info is correct about my Cobra's cam, lifters & springs. I don't recall the specs - it was over 11 years ago - but the solid roller springs are almost assuredly too strong.

Alas, Crane has died, was bought out by a motorcycle parts business and is slowly returning to the cam market.

Knowing this, I'd be strongly inclined to go with one of the ClubCobra vendors/engine builders such as Keith Craft or Brent Lykins (watch out for my spelling!) for a recommendation for the cam and valve train components. There has been some progress I think from Comp or one of the other cam folks since I got mine, and one or more of the newer vendors can even grind your cam to suit the rest of your engine (heads, manifold/carb etc) and get some pretty amazing performance out of it - probably matching your solid setup since there are some newer hydraulic rollers that can go to 8500 rpm.

My setup started out as a carb, then went to throttle body injection and vacuum has never been a problem, as the Crane cam is pretty mild in a big engine.

Have fun with it,

Tom