View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Update since my last post:

- The stereo took quite a bit of time to get right (at least I hope it's right). I wired up the rear crossovers and installed them, and then I installed the amp with the wiring completely hidden
- Installed the roll bar
- Carpeted the trunk. I "hung" the bulkhead piece of carpet so it hides the speakers and crossovers, rather than glueing it completely to the rear bulkhead and cutting holes for the speakers. One other comment: the trunk doesn't have Cool-it insulation/sound dampener like the interior. After installing the carpet on the bare metal in the trunk, I realized the carpet doesn't do a great job dampening the aluminum. Not a big problem in the trunk but I'm *really* glad I used Cool-it on the interior panels. It really deadens the sound, and it doesn't make the carpet installation difficult like I heard it might.
- Installed the fuel tank hoses.
- Replaced one panel of interior carpet (the compound curved piece behind the driver's seat over the rear wheel well). It turned out much better than the first time. Most of the carpet is really easy to install, but those panels are a b*tch because of the curves.
- Finished the wiring in the trunk, and reinstalled the trunk. I shimmed the hinges to get a better fit. The gaps are perfect, but there is one length where that doesn't seal completely against the weatherstripping (about 12" along the left side). Any hints? Should I even worry about this?
- Shimmed the pedal assembly to take lateral play out
- Safety wired the rear wheels. The fronts will have to come off so I didn't do them yet
- Started to paint the expansion tank. I began with a VHT "epoxy" paint that I later learned isn't really epoxy, and it didn't adhere. So I stripped it chemically (nasty stuff from Home Depot) and re-primed it with real 2-part epoxy primer from Eastwood
- Installed and "leveled" the rear quick jacks
- Applied 3M Paint Defender to rear fenders/spats. Excellent stuff. Went on perfectly and looks great.
- Installed all of the door hardware, side pockets, weather stripping, etc.

Last edited by lippy; 10-06-2013 at 08:32 PM..