Thread: Better Brakes
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've built a number of cars using C4 Corvette suspension, stock calipers and used large wheels and tires. The brakes have been great, even on the track. Like Tommy says, they should be great in our light cars.

I've never have had power brakes in the cars that I have built. I use a pedal assembly with a 6:1 ratio. I can lock the brakes up easily.

My Wilwood pedal is set up with twin 3/4 inch MC's. I take the time to make sure that the balance bar is set up correctly. In general I run 100#'s more front line pressure than rear.

I just use the better quality brake pads that I can buy from a quality parts store. It's obviously important to make sure that the the system is bleed properly. It's important to make sure that the discs are cleaned completely when installing them. They come coated with a rust inhibitor. Use break cleaner and a good clean rag to remove the coating.

it's most important to "bed" in the pads. If you don't do this your brakes will never work to their potential. The first time you drive the car after installing the brakes you should make several hard stops from moderate speeds. Don't lock the brakes up. But hit them hard enough to really heat them up. Brake hard until you come almost to a stop. Then accelerate quickly to a moderate speed and hit them again. Repeat this several times until you can smell the brakes getting good and hot. Then park and let them cool down completely. Your rotors should have lost all of their shine. Dust from the pads should become embedded into the pores of the rotor. This 1 step will make a huge difference in braking performance.

If everything is set and working properly the car should stop straight and true. You will want the front brakes to lock before the rear.

I hope that you get the brakes sorted out. They should work fine for your application.