CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax -fuel inj 383 chevy
Send a message via Yahoo to 427 sam
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Bernie I've read some of the comments by others caught out by the Taunton Sting.

The manager of the Holiday Inn Express sounds like a typical motel manager. He states in reply to a similar complaint to yours that the bus lane has been designated as such for the past decade, and then goes on to blame the satnav people for not updating their data. What a copout! And what a nice little earner it must have been for the Council over that period! Really, how difficult would it be for the staff at the Holiday Inn to be instructed to bring this to the attention of guests by way of a printed flyer showing the "no go" lane?

The Council, being what Councils everywhere appear to be, will never seek to remedy the signage situation while it continues to fleece innocent visitors so easily, (you're only there one night and there's no electoral disadvantage in ripping off non-voters!) but the management of the Holiday Inn is missing a golden PR opportunity by not notifying its guests of the problem. In fact, you'd think that given how long this abysmal state of affairs has been running, it would be almost beholden upon the management to warn their guests of it on arrival.

I dislike motel chains immensely. I find nothing appealing in their sterile atmosphere and bland impersonal service. Your unfortunate (and expensive) experience here just serves to convince me even more that in the UK, staying in friendly family-run B&Bs is the way to go.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of reply you receive from the Taunton Council...
Sad but true we brits welcome you all but alas its the state of the country, the councils are responsible for their budgets and the unfortunate motorist has to bear the brunt , we are easy targets as most of the fines are issued sometime after the event, and even if you challenge the fine you may well end up more out of pocket,( jackboot officials and spy cameras everywhere,)as for finding someplace to stay i have to agree find a nice B/B preferably out of the city, some country B/Bs are very well appointed, there you will find a warm brit welcome awaiting, sorry you had a bad experience. also sorry for ranting on hope you all come again, regards Sam.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif