View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical/headlights failure...can anyone help?

Drove the Cobra a few hundred miles a couple of weeks ago, shut it off when I got home, and the head/tail lights have not worked since. Every other light works...brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, just no headlights or tail lights.

Of course, the first thing I thought of was the fuse, so off I went to Reliable Auto Parts and away I came with two 20amp headlight fuses (the second a spare so that if the lights go out at night I'll be able to get back on the road)...at $16 each!! No worries, I'll be on the road.

Not!!!

About the only other thing I can figure out is that it might be the headlight switch. All the stuff on this replica seems to be Ford stuff...the door handles and latches are Ford, the hood latch is Ford, the steering column is Ford, I think the fuse box is even Ford (if you can verify that with a photo, please let me know and I'll get it posted). I figure the headlight switch must be a Ford part, too.....hopefully!

So, I have a continuity tester...sort of like a screwdriver with a very fine point on the end that pierces the wire's insulation and a handle that lights up when there is electricity sensed in the conductor. Can anyone tell me which part of the headlight circuit to check first? Does the power for the headlights go to the fuse box before it goes to the headlight switch, or is it the reverse? The dimmer switch is a two-pole toggle switch, up for high beams, down for low beams, center for no beams. It makes no difference how it is positioned.

I know that grounds are a big issue with our cars' electrical problems. I know there are ground circuits for the lights at both the front of the car and at the rear...must be good because the turn signals work both front and back. Before I tie myself into a knot and stuff myself under that dash again I'd like to know how to proceed...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, and thanks in advance for whatever you can do!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!