Thread: Vibration....
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Externally balanced?

Eplatvoet Erwin If you removed just the clutch assembly, there should be NO abnornal vibration at the rpm you are saying. I have always used markings on building motors with arrows and 1-8 for which cylinder each rod and piston go into. Everytime Many years ago when I started to build motors and the engine was on a table or rotating cradle I have installed wrong bank on the wrong side. First thing that happens with this is putting in the first rod assembly on the other side, the crank will not spin easy, any more and binding happens. This may not happen to all motors but happened on 351 windsor. Either way the balance is off. Quick check, what is the end play of the crankshaft?? Hoping less than .010". IS a vacuum gauge on the motor running showing a steady needle at 2,000 rpms and idle of say 800 rpms?? If yes you are back too a bad rotating assembly. I can't see side pipes causing this problem unless hitting the body or frame on revving the motor. A large camshaft shouldn't cause a vibration at 2,000-2,500 rpms. Does the vibration stop above these numbers?? Is the bolt pattern on the back of the crankshaft universal? I would spin the flywheel and retest to see if vibrations gets better, same or worse. IF there is a change, you are back to balancing problem. Find a new machinist. Rick L.