View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Norris View Post
My rear end ratio is 3.73 also, and my rear tires are 295/50/15. I agree that first gear is useless when you stomp on it; it just sends the tires up in smoke even after you're rolling. The acceleration in 2nd and 3d though, is phenomenal. l am worried about losing that if I change to a numerically lower rear gear.
I think you're right about having the Pro 5.0 included in the deal. It makes good sense.
Thanks for your help.
Jim - Are you running a 427 stroker like it says in your sig line? If so, you do not need to worry about your car not pulling in 2nd and 3rd with a 3:27 rear gear. Have you ever had your car at the drag strip and gotten some time slips with your present gearing set up? I can pretty much guarantee you that your et will improve getting rid of that useless 1st gear. My car will run about 50mph in first and it will get there quick. The freight train keeps pushing hard right through all the gears. I consistently run 11:30s/125mph with Avons or Mickey Thompson drag radials on the rear. I'm not half way through 4th gear when I go through the traps. Also, 5th gear becomes a REAL gear on long straightaways on road courses. No bogging. It's very much like the 3>4 shift except that wind resistance is becoming such a factor in 5th that it is really affecting the engines ability to accelerate the car hard.