View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default O2 Sensor Install

I live at about 5,000 feet and knew I was going to have rejet my carb. I decided on the Innovate wide band MTX-L and am just going to use it as a tool to adjust the carb, but not install it in the dash. I am thinking I should have done this years ago.

Anyway with a wide band the O2 sensor it is better to be installed past the collector and not on the bottom side of the pipe so condensation does not ruin it. This makes it tuff on a cobra since I didn't want it out the side or on top. The instructions say it really shouldn't be installed lower past the 9:00 or 3:00 positions. I'm not going to leave it in so I was not so concerned about that, but didn't want it real visible. After looking at the pipe I realized I had to come up with a system to get the exact location and angle in the ballpark, as once you take the pipe off to weld in the bung you can easily lose your reference for the angle. Anyway this is the system I came up with that works pretty good.

I drew a circle with a compass on some poster board that matched the diameter of the pipe. I then measured and layed out where the frame and bottom of the body was in relation to the pipe. I cut half the circle out and left the side where the frame was and where I though I wanted the O2 sensor to be.

I put the poster board on the pipe that was still on the car, did any trimming and lined it up on the pipe where I wanted it. I then marked the poster board and pipe with reference marks so when the pipe was removed I could maintain the correct angle when I took the pipe off.

I then removed the pipe and cut some small pieces of poster board and folded them to make some 90s and stapled them to the pattern. I then taped the pattern back on the pipe, lining up the reference marks and drilled the bung hole with a step drill.

I cut the 1" bung that came with the gauge at the angle and curve of the pipe. I test fit the O2 sensor and realized with having to screw the sensor in and the cable extending close to the frame I had to tilt it slighty down a little. I then put in an old O2 sensor to hold while I welded it up.

I hope this helps anyone else that installs a sensor. I will do a thread in the spring on jetting my carb with the new gauge, and we will see how that goes.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger

Last edited by Wbulk; 12-21-2013 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: fixed sentence