View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
By the gauge on the dash my oil pressure is 35 -52 psig from idle to 4K. Once it hits 4K oil pressure drops rapidly to 45 psig and stays there through 6K.

Here the kicker I checked oil pressure before the oil cooler and it pegged at 65-69 psig all the way to 6k rpm's. no drop what so ever. is the oil cooler or oil pump the problem?
Assuming both gauges used are accurate (I'm concerned they are not), then the oil pump is making pressure to the cooler, but there is a pressure loss by the time the oil gets back to the engine.

If it was bearings causing a drop in the engine, you should also see a drop in pressure at the cooler inlet. This tends to say there is a restriction somewhere after the cooler inlet. Perhaps a tear inside a line has a flap folding over at higher flow rates.

Get a good gauge that doesn't peg out. Have the engine completely warmed up, so temp/viscosity changes don't fool you. Use that gauge everywhere you check, so you are comparing apples to apples. See what the pressure is before the cooler, at the cooler exit, and at the other end of the return line to the engine. It there are any other connections check each side of it as well. Use a scientific approach to track down the problem, and resist the temptation to jump to assumptions.