View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I don't understand why you didn't stroke it out - practically the same money.

I would use an air gap manifold.

With aluminum heads, I would have shot for 10 to 10.5 compression.

From what you have put together, I take it you are not trying to make a bunch of power. You have said nothing on the type of rpms you want to turn, nor have you mentioned you tolerance on a nasty engine with bad manors.

With the high 5th gear, you will either have to keep the cam tame enough to let it lug smoothly at 1500 rpm or you will have to gear it low enough to keep the rpm up over 1800 at 55 mph. That or not use 5th unless your on a 4 lane with a 65+ speed limit.

I have 236/242 duration @ 0.050 lift in a 347 cid, and it does not like to pull smoothly much below 1800 rpm. I lowered the rear end gears because of this. I cannot feel the torque drop off all the way to 6500 rpm by the seat of my pants (I'm sure it does but I do not feel it). If I ever pull my engine down, I would drop ~5 on the duration and go a little wider on the lobe separation.

You want to stay on the milder side of my cam to run that transmission. If that doesn't make enough power for you, then change other components to make more power. That's my advise, unless you love nasty engines with no manors.

Last edited by olddog; 12-01-2013 at 07:03 PM..