View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Jim Holden's advice is sound--make sure you have the side curtains mounted and that you adjust the windshield angle to them. And, take your time fitting the top (I spent several days on it, but it was time well spent). Practice on the tonneau cover by fitting it first before moving on to the top. Moss Motors sells a terrific tool which easily punches out the five holes (one large center hole, four angled slots) needed to fit the Lift-the-Dot fasteners used with the tonneau cover and the top.

The time it takes will be worthwhile--the top seals better than I expected (even better than either of my MGs and many other British cars I've driven or ridden in that use this design). Most importantly, though, it turned out not to be the "noisy rattletrap" that Peter predicted it would be.

By the way, I like your grille splitter and I'm glad you have one, too. You and I may well be the only ones left who are using it. i think it makes the entire front end appearance complete.

I found that the top and the side curtain bags fit well on the upper trunk shelf. I put the bag for the tonneau cover on the left side of the trunk (the fuel filler pipe intrudes on the right) with a "Continental Kit" (tire inflator and sealant, if needed--I bought mine online at Tire Rack) in its plastic case underneath the cover bag. The top bows I have laying out of the way on the trunk floor--I had them powdercoated black after fitting the top, but I need a bag for them, too (similar to what early MGBs used with their "Erector Set" tops).

Just some ideas--hope some will prove useful.