View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It's hard to go by descriptions in the catalogs, because they are general. Comp may advertise a cam to have a 1500-5500 rpm range, but how do they know how big your engine is, which heads you're using, etc, etc.? That cam in a 351W may peak at 5500, but in a 408 it will peak closer to 4500. That cam with factory heads may peak at 5500, but with aftermarket heads may peak at 6500. You can *never* go by any description in a cam manufacturer's catalog, for rpm ranges, for recommended valve springs, or anything else for that matter.

A flat tappet cam will save you some money for sure, but breaking a cam in, isn't like it was in the 60's. Now it's all about the correct lubrication, EDM lifters, break-in oils, etc. SBF stuff is cheap, and I would much rather pay $500 for a roller setup and not have to sweat the break-in.

John, I have a left-over cam from Cliff Rosson's 331 SBF that I did for him several months ago. It has about 5-6 dyno pulls on it, but other than that, I ordered it brand new for his engine. It's a 228/232 duration, a little over .600" lift with a 1.7 rocker. Standard base circle, so you'd have to use link bar lifters with it. I'll make you a deal on it that you can't refuse....