View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Progress Update.

I removed the pan (14 minutes) to install the new spring. Prior to removing the existing spring I screwed it in to see how far off bottom it was. It was 1/2 turn off bottom sooooo the Mellon rep was right max pressure stock spring 70 psig. As you may recall my last engine had 79 psig before bypassing. I surmise the builder on that one installed the stiffer spring during the build. The new spring is much stiffer than the old. I installed about 2.75 turns in which is 1 turn off bottom.

Since the car had the wrong thermostat 180F the engine would never get above 65C after the thermostat openened. I changed to 195 and wow as I suspect now I am at 80C right where I want it. I have said it before a thermostat opens at it set point but does not close until 15F below it!!!!! The spf cooling system is soooo efficient. Please don't ask if my gauge was accurate. That took 45 minutes, longer than the spring change LOL!!

Ok, fire it up, wtf, 70 psig oil pressure at idle and I had put the oil cooler back in the circuit!!! This means the pump is probably 90 psig. I still have the stock oil filter fl-1A on the engine. I blip the throttle and oil pressure spike to 80 psig. I let it idle forever to get the oil temp up to 60C, what are the odds coldest day in Houston in a fking year.
Engine coolant at 80C but fuking thermostat housing dripping like a sieve since I didn't let the sealant dry ( I have no patience).

Any way I take it for a drive and I am nervous the fl-1a is going to blow apart lol. Oil pressure up to 4k rpm is now 58 psig! an 8 psig gain or put another way the oil pump is not dumping 8 psig of oil back into the pan since the rv is not lifting!!!!!!!!!! Remember the most on the last one was 50 psig with an engine running at 60C not 80C!

Sooo that was great news, I run it to 6K rpm and same scenario at 4.3K oil pressure drops from 58 psig to 52 psig. This is acceptable as it was dropping to 43 psig. Last thing in the test is put the Royal Purple Filter on as I will not start it again with the fl-1a. If the pressure swing goes away I will drop the pan and back out on the oil pressure spring to 1/2 turn from all the way out.

I reinstalled the thermostat housing last night but the sealant is not dry it 35F out so I guess I will get the ride height corrected today. Hopefully tomorrow I can try it.

On a side note my buddy from work calls me. He said we all got 15K raises, yea right I am trying to install this spring don't bother me. Lucky I checked my work since I put the plug in backwards the first time, the spring sits in the cup side. Turned out we did get the raises!! Houston is hot for engineers!!! that's good I have about $85.00 into this fiasco so far!!

Last edited by madmaxx; 12-07-2013 at 06:52 AM..