View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
if you think about it ,maybe Australia would be a different country if we had our own steel mills instead of sending our iron overseas and then buying it back this type of thing has been our downfall for years,we seem to be a liquidation shop in the form of a country,sold of just about every asset we had including ports ,who the hell sells a port then we buy outdated technology at overinflated prices..the whole thing is bad...well what happens when there is nothing left,...doc
My pop is 95 and a WW2 Vet. He was in the infantry in Darwin (he was in charge of the trucks that pulled the gun transport) and on the way to PNG's Kakoda when Darwin was bombed. He reminds me often how when Japan bombed us in Darwin he dived under a Chev army truck and when he rolled out the bomb shrapnel that had been dropped on us still had "BHP" stamped on it!

We sold it to Japan pre WW2 and they sent it back to us on the back of some TNT!

(Just as a side note, my pop got called up, loaded and then told to get off the transport ships on the way to PNG 4 times. In the end he never got there. I can't even imagine the anxiety that he must have experienced with wife and 3kids at home. Tuff old bastard!)

Back on topic.....