View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
the late model jeeps should be very cheap as some are piss poor quality and made in mexico
Sideshow,
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I think Tomcat's opening line in post 16 says it all.

Jeep have assembly plants in Jefferson (Michigan), Toledo (Ohio) and Belvidere (Illinois). I think if you look at a map you will find these areas are in the USA.

Back to the topic.

As well as GM shutting down, this will put pressure on component manufacturers, which in turn could effect Toyota. More than likely by the end of 2017 there won't be any auto manufacturing left in Australia, component manufacturers will have shut down or moved off shore. This will have devastating effect on the economies in Victoria and South Australia. It will be anyone's guess how many jobs will be affected when this does happen.

Although it was 100 jobs lost, it is interesting that the media did not give much time on the Kellogs cereal packaging plant shutting down in Australia and moving to Thailand.
I suppose there would not have been the same sensationalism as shutting down of the production of the perceived "Australia's" own car.

Unless GM are willing to put a 4cyl in the Camaro or Corvette and make them available to England and Europe like Ford did with the Mustang they are not going to spend a lot of money developing a RHD version for a niche market like Australia selling maybe 100 per month.

Warren