Thread: Work Ute
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just had the new trucks re-engineered. Had its GVM re-rated from a GVM of 5080kg to 4400kg. I did it for 3 reasons.

1. Now you can drive it with a car license.
2. Rego reduces from $2000 a year to $1100 due to the triple cost in CTP insurance.
3. No longer requires yearly inspections.

And you could add that perhaps in the long run it "may" add or maintain value on resale as it opens up the market and reduces yearly costs. In the end I still have significant payload and it doesn't affect towing specs.

What was most interesting was with the derating it required no physical changes. The only change made was the addition of a mod plate. BUT..... the extensive paper work required and detailed inspection process was pretty crazy. Seat measurements, anchor points bla bla. I even had to do a brake test. The truck, which ways a lean 3100kg pulled a 0.9g brake stop at 60kph to dead stop with minimal ABS interference. That's pretty good for a bloody big truck.

Qld transport has engineers really jumping through hoops these days it seems.

Truck gets a workout over Christmas. Pulling a large horse float with 3 horses up to Bundy... Should walk it in....We'll see how it goes.

Spookypt