View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Ignition Probs

It's driving me crazy......

From day one I've had no start or engine dying problems with the ignition system on my '93 5.0 engine.

I started with a new MSD distributor and coil.

I've replaced 2 faulty coils and one TFI module.

Off to the local car show yesterday, no problem starting but after 10 km the engine dies. I popped the bonnet, did the obligatory wiggling of coil and TFI plug connections, turned the key and she started, closed the bonnet, jumped in and it stopped.

Up with the bonnet again and fortunately a couple of guys in a Holden ute who were off to the show pulled up. Given my experience with this bluddy problem...no spark, plenty of fuel pressure, etc etc. I called the local Repco boys and they had a coil in stock...that's a start. So off we go jammed in the ute, grabbed the coil, stuck it in, turned the key, and she fired.....woohooo.

Put the tools away, told the boys to follow me to the show (they were from the Goldy) jumped in and........it fekkin stopped.

I waved the blokes goodbye, rang home for a pickup, grabbed the trailer and now it's back in the shed.

SO....I'm yet to bench test the TFI module, but i'll bet it's that or the PIP sender in the dizzy.

If so, what's the best way to go to eliminate all this grief? MSD hasn't really impressed me with their sh1tty quality although quite a few guys run their 6AL module it seems. I'm tempted to toss their distributor, coil and leads and start from scratch.

Thoughts please.......