View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ant what more important?

Ant What is your oil pressure at idle and hot. Aluminum blocks depending on material breakdown can expand from .0015"- .0023". Oil weight and pump pressure is more important. Your motors are different, I run a shelby block with 100# spring in the oil pump and 15W-40 rotella diesel oil. 1 bottle of Lucas oil suppliment. Over fill oilpan to bottom of scraper plate. Oil pressure cold is 125-128 psi motor runs at 1,100 rpms until water temp and oil temp warm up. No RACING the motor to warm. My rods and mains are both under .002" I have been told that the high pressure is wearing out my bearings. 7 years on 452 bottom end an 8 years with 482 kit in same block and no wear to either. This is a motor that is raced 98% of the time. Limit of 6,000 rpms helps. I also have a accusump 3 quart tank to help control oil going to motor on high "G" turns. Idle is 35-38 psi and running is between 75-80 psi on the track hot. Old days rods and mains where .003" and a little larger. As long as the motor doesn't idle, see no problem. IMO idle is the worst thing for any motor that is even with extra oiling to mains and rods. Tests have showed a 10-30 psi drop of pressure from front of oiling system to back of motor and rods. Gauge may read 30 psi but back is 5-10 in most motors. JMO. Good luck Rick L Ps use accusump as a pre oiler to start motor. get about 35 psi before starting. No noise, no wear.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 01-12-2014 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: old age moment.