View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Aluminium Block hot bearing clearances

Rick,

I have had the engine in the car on its urethane bush mounts attached to a thick piece of angle steel bolted to the block mounts, and bolted to the transmission for a few years, I would hope it should be ok. With no pushrods and plugs out, the engine still turns over nicely..

To be honest over all the years I have raced cars etc I have never bothered to preheat oil, I think it might be a good idea to warm the oil up during the winter but that also creates a differential in temperatures with warm to hot oil hitting the cold engine. I guess if you don't go overboard and just warm the oil it maybe of value if you are using a 20w-50 or 15w-50 oil.
I have had cars that have done 310,000miles sitting outside covered in frost etc and still going strong without oil preheaters and oil primers. We don't worry about our road cars as they are easily replaced.

I will consider an 2 qt Accusump for priming as it can protect my investment, not sure how it works with my dry sump system as there might have to be a one way valve so it doesn't back feed through the pump etc. Peterson Fluid make a remote filter mount primer pump incorporated that you use a drill on that makes 20 psi, that could be an easy installation..

ps My engine stand bolts to the engine rails and bell housing bolts.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 01-14-2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: adding information