Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jody View Post
The answer is 0".
It’s a trick question….sort of. The trick is in how you look at it.
You have to look at it as if line ABC goes from left to right. Originally, it’s 26” from A to B, and we’ll say X” from B to C, with point C being “in the distance” to the right. Something like this:
A_________________B_________________________C

After moving point A 1/8” to the left, they are all still in that same straight line ABC going from left to right. It's just that now it is 26 1/8” between A and B, and still X" between B and C. No point ever moved out of this line. Now it looks something like this (not to scale...and my attempt at a depiction just shifted B and C to the right, but you get the picture):
A_______________________B_________________________ C
That was the question I asked. If "to the left" is taken from the perspective that you are looking at the line ABC from perpendicular to the line then the answer is that B doesn't move because A' is along the original line and only the distance from AB to A'B changes. If you are looking straight into the line ABC the A' does move and I A' is a right angle to the line the new line of A'B and A'C need to be solved for the new triangle that is formed. You will first have to solve the A'AC triangle to get the new length of A'C. Then you will have to solve the A'AB to get the length of the new triangle A'BC Then you can solve the right angle of A'B to the A'C.

Again I assert that there are at least two possible answers (a different answer is to be had if the angle of A'A is not 180* or 90*) so there is insufficient information to answer it properly. Take the spec back to design engineering and ask them for clarification and engineered stamped drawings. Or overdrill B and let the drywallers patch over it.

I have a math degree... Physics too. I used to understand quantum mechanics but forgot.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-14-2014 at 01:13 PM..