View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Hi, It would appear that you have purchased early Fairlane mounts, the difference is in the two lugs that the long bolt goes thru, on your current ones the lugs/holes are nearest the oil pan, on the later/wider/higher mounts these lugs are reversed so that they are further away from the oil pan ( imagine you could 'unbond' that lower portion of the mount & turn it 180°.). The mount I describe is very common & fitted to most small block V8's from mid 1960's thru 1970 in mustangs etc. With the 'new' outboard position of that long thru bolt on both sides I think your mount brackets should line up much better.

Also the frame bracket that the mount bolts to in your pics requires a flat pad for that lower part of the mount to sit on & take the engine weight, the thru bolt should not carry any weight at all, the pad is reqd to prevent the mount twisting under engine torque, mount rubber bonding failure will occur early if the flat pad is not added/welded to the frame bracket. Hope that description is clear, dont have a camera at this time to take a pic of mounts for clarity.

I should also have mentioned that if you have a post 66 6 bolt 289, 302, 351w or 351 c that the same mounts will fit all those engine blocks, they all have the same mount boss positions cast onto the blocks. Any different mounts that the shops might sell you are to suit different engine bay configuations relevant to the car in question- not the engine block.

Last edited by Jac Mac; 01-16-2014 at 02:39 PM..