View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Lippy - you want the slave and rod working the fork in as direct alignment as possible. From the top picture it looks like it is well aligned. If it looks as good from the side, I don't think the spacer will do anything for you. If you only have to grind a very slight amount from the bellhousing - as much as you may hate to touch it, I think that will give you the most satisfactory operation.

From memory - I think the bellhousing hole on my Ford block daylights through there. I carefully adjusted bolt lengths and was able to screw the spacer into the backside of that hole. Looks like you will have to do some drilling and tapping.

The slave cylinder needs to be shoved all the way to the front of the motor by the pushrod. You don't want but a few thousands of movement left. I am using a spring on mine. I don't know if it's really necessary. I'm an old mechanical clutch linkage guy - just doesn't seem right without a spring to keep the throwout bearing slightly off the clutch fingers. I think it's kind of up to you and whatever you think makes sense. Without a spring, there is definately enough pressure from the slave cylinder spring to keep the bearing in contact with the clutch.

I don't seem to have a picture of my installation with the spacer.