View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos289 View Post
Hey guys...getting a new Superformance MkII, engine is 74 block. Anyone have guidance regarding the process to get title, reg and plates? Do I just bring along the purchase agreement & engine build details to DMV? Since it is a new build, what year is the car? (i.e. can I say it is a 1964 Cobra?) Sounds like I may need to go to a specific DMV site for inspection (e.g. Morristown) from reading some of the other posts.

My office is in NY so I guess I can try to register there if it is any easier?

Any advice would be appreciated...

TIA!
NJ is the place to register your car, not NY. Call the special titles division in Trenton (888) 486-3339 ext. 5064 or (609) 292-6500 ext. 5064 and ask them to send you the "kit car package". Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be driving your car before you know it. Expect to have to trailer the car down to one of the three specialty inspection stations (Asbury Park, Westfield, or Winslow) after you have made an appointment and gotten all of your paperwork in order, again, follow the paperwork to the letter and have all of your receipts in a "build binder". The easier to review and complete your paperwork is, the easier your enhanced inspection will go.

You will not be able to legally title your car in the state of NJ as a "1964" or anything vintage. You can get custom plates for your car, you cannot get historic or QQ type plates though.

Yes, it is really that easy.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 02-05-2014 at 07:52 PM..