View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Brent: the weber manifold I have had been ported to the point I needed 428 int gaskets and trim them to fit, and I matched the head ports to the manifold. The BT4bbl intake has not been ported to match the heads, so they are much smaller, so the flow is from smaller to larger, while not ideal, is better than the other way around larger into smaller, but I'm probably loosing some power there.
I forgot to mention another benefit of the change, and that is no more BACKFIRING OUT THE EXHAUST !!!!!!!!!!!!! A big problem with the webers, I tried every solution on this website except welding on flanges. I even borrowed a tubing beader and put a slight bead 1/2" in from the end of the head pipes, all to no avail, and my slip joints are now EXTREMELY TIGHT. Didn't even slow the popping down ! mixture lean or rich made no difference! Now with the 4bbl, no popping/backfire when backing off throttle ! Nothing like imitating the 4th of July to attract the fuzz and P.O. the neighbors !! I'm enjoying the QUIET!

Steve: the 22 deg was no problem w/webers, the 4 bbl doesn't like it, bogs down coming up on compression, but then catches and starts. I'm running MSD don't remember the springs and bushing at the moment, but all in @ 2400rpm. This intake swap was intended to be a temporary change to eliminate the possibilities of the intake causing the original oil fouled plug problems.

Thanks all , for your input.
Ted

Last edited by MOTORHEAD; 02-09-2014 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: sp