Thread: Goodbye Kansas
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re your brake caliper installation: Way back when, I swapped out the Jag rear for the ERA outboard setup in my old (#50) 427 car. Being the "creative" engineer, I adapted AP calipers, solid mount, all around. Racers used them, and so would I. First lap at the Glen, something weird was happening. The pedal seemed to fall off on first hit. Must be a little air, I'll re-bleed it later. Really starting to get into it in the toe of the boot and flat down to the heel....pedal is on the floor and I'm pumping like crazy and it comes back. I learned to left foot tap the pedal just before I braked. All this story telling is leading back to the point here. If you are running the Jag ball bearing setup in the hub, your gonna get rotor kickback and a crappy pedal. Choice here is floating calipers or taper bearings with adjustable preset. My cheap fix was an inline valve to hold 5psi in the caliper and hope the pistons floated back and forth. Sold the car that fall and never really got the chance to sort it out. Damned 'ole Bob knew what he was doing, he spec'd floating calipers right from the start.

edit: Just REALLY looked at the hub pic's and see a taper bearing race. So.....never mind.

Last edited by a427sc; 02-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: jumpd the gun