View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by a427sc View Post
Re your brake caliper installation: Way back when, I swapped out the Jag rear for the ERA outboard setup in my old (#50) 427 car. Being the "creative" engineer, I adapted AP calipers, solid mount, all around. Racers used them, and so would I. First lap at the Glen, something weird was happening. The pedal seemed to fall off on first hit. Must be a little air, I'll re-bleed it later. Really starting to get into it in the toe of the boot and flat down to the heel....pedal is on the floor and I'm pumping like crazy and it comes back. I learned to left foot tap the pedal just before I braked. All this story telling is leading back to the point here. If you are running the Jag ball bearing setup in the hub, your gonna get rotor kickback and a crappy pedal. Choice here is floating calipers or taper bearings with adjustable preset. My cheap fix was an inline valve to hold 5psi in the caliper and hope the pistons floated back and forth. Sold the car that fall and never really got the chance to sort it out. Damned 'ole Bob knew what he was doing, he spec'd floating calipers right from the start.

edit: Just REALLY looked at the hub pic's and see a taper bearing race. So.....never mind.
Way cool - big thanks.

We are taking some risk engineering wise. The adaptation of the rear brakes is a concern. Will be disappointing if we cannot get it sorted.

Nearly everyday we speculate on how fast it will run. There is an older gent that runs a Lotus (Elise?) Spyder at PIR. This is a very light, full aero, track car with a blown Toyota 4 - 240 hp. He runs 1.24. Last time out I was running 1.33 in my Mustang. I will be very happy if we can run with the Lotus. I will be very disappointed if we cannot stomp the Mustang.

We swapped Wilwoods all around into the Mustang last summer and it dropped lap times like noting else. I love multi piston calipers which is why I decided to go for it. The risk is that the Mustang front and rear kits were developed by very capable companies who develop and race what they build. I knew what I was purchasing.

We are adapting on a bit of a prayer. If it works it will be beautiful. If not I will have wasted two very nice ERA uprights.

On your setup - were the AP brakes lug or radial mounted?

chr