Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
Perhaps my ignorance but...

when you import a partially built Kirkham from the States to Australia is it not described as a Kirkham ? or is it described as something else ?

or does it just come in as "parts" and you start from zero ?

Personally i would not want to lose that Kirkham identity in Australia , especially when it came to registration and Insurance , being a recognized manufacturer as opposed to being an ICV build and given that SAAC recognize them [ not that it matters to me ] with Insurance companies at least you could then justify the exact cost of replacement value and justify your cover.

Just wondering !

Soul.
I think the issue is you can't import a whole car unless you have owned and registered / driven / used it overseas for 3 consecutive months....... but you can import car parts. I think that is the way they have to be bought in, as parts and then assembled here. Which costs more because it has to be manufactured in Poland / America then pulled apart and then put back together again in Australia. It can only be registered as an Individually Constructed Vehicle, because that's what they all are, regardless of the make of the kit. What you put on your registration label is up to you. Coupe, Roadster, Convertible, Cobra, Shelby, all depends on what you tell the admin at the Transport Department.