Thread: 2152 The Build
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp289 View Post
If I do a Hurst linkage for the Toploader, what mods are needed to run the Ford/Cobra shifter.
It depends which tailhousing you use as there are 3 different lengths and I think some of those may have more than one sifter mount location used. In general you want the short or medium length tailhousing which I suspect you already know. There are various adaptor plates to move the Hurst shifter around. Probably Doug at ERA would be the best to advise you if you can give him the information on your tailshaft casing.

My Hurst shifter, which I bought used off of another ERA owner, has a flat mounting plate on the shift lever arm for the handle to mount to and a Ford shifter bolts perfectly to that. I'm not sure if that is a Hurst option or not as most Hurst units I've had/seen have a verticle mount that a lever bolts to (two bolts vertical). I suspect the Hurst unit may be modified by ERA or an outside supplier for them since I'm pretty sure they also custom built the shift rods and possibly the mount plate that I got with it. For a 289 or FIA you probably want the more forward mount like the original cars.

Something else I failed to get good pictures of (sorry PatrickT) but you can see the top mount where the shift handle bolts down. I made a 1/4 inch spacer as the handle seems to short for my installation. ERA also recommended a spacer under the transmission mount to raise it a little further which I have just installed.