View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I would suggest against using Centerforce stuff if you can help it. I've never had a customer email me back and say that their McLeod or RAM clutch wasn't holding (correctly spec'd of course), but I get email after email after phone call about Centerforce stuff.

The issue is with the pressure plate. It's a standard Luk/Sachs/Valeo plate that you buy from Autozone/O'Reilly, but they add their own counterweights to the fingers. The issue is, the counterweights are not dependable enough. Sometimes they engage too soon (Cobra owners have this problem quite often) and sometimes they don't engage soon enough. A lot of guys end up removing the weights because they interfere with driving, but then end back up with a stock OEM replacement pressure plate.

I think Rick Lake has a nice story about how a Centerforce clutch ended up costing him a couple thou....

McLeod and RAM are the two best clutch kits out there, IMO. I've lost track of how many I've sold over the years, and I think I've had one McLeod pressure plate come back to me because of a defective spring.

Pretty good statistics.