View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Peter, it looks amazing. Great colour choice...
The colour is Rosso Cina (Red China).

There seems to be plenty of cars painted a similar red these days but I wanted to be able to say it is painted the same colour as most GTOs left the factory.

I have researched this (on the web) until I could research no more. None of the following should be taken as absolute fact.

- In 1962 Ferraris were most likely painted with a product supplied by Italver, Duco (DuPont), Max Meyer or Salchi
- Cars bodied by Pininfarina used Italver or Max Meyer
- Cars bodies by Scaglietti (incl. 250 GTO) used Salchi
- Ferrari Rosso Cina code is 20.456 S - the S is for Salchi?
- PPG (Du Pont) bought Italver and Glidden bought Salchi
- Later PPG bought Glidden and Salchi
- FIAT/Lancia offered products in a colour titled Rosso Cina in the 1960s
- Alfa Romeo had a Rosso Cina (AF 521) in 1968-73

AF521 is the colour I have chosen for my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Peter,...Is yours the same as the Ferrari replica in Barry's photo or is that a different kit?...
That is a similar Corsa kit to the red one I originally had. Although the Puckett kit I eventually fitted was a complete basket case it is much truer to the real GTOs.

The Puckett kit was so bad the Pommie painter spent a lot of time prepping it and I'm sad to say there was a lot of bog used, even worse, he ran out of time and the red is only a top coat to protect the unrubbed primer at this stage. I'm going to fit it all out (possibly even rego) and then decide what to do about the finish coats.

While the final coats aspect was somewhat disappointing I decided not to short change all the work that has gone on prior and I'm determined to have a top class paint job - I might even fly the painter back out. he was extremely honest and hard working and I was bitterly disappointed when the Stones concert was cancelled as I had a surprise ticket for him. It might seem like sending coals to Newcastle but he has never seen them live.

Overall I'm absolutely delighted and I see this as just a minor hiccup, it's just part and parcel of the kit car process.