Thread: Goodbye Kansas
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

No - we added only the cross brace you see in the picture and the 1 spherical bearing. We have tightened it all down and it feels rigid. I was concerned about the moment from the bearing out to the end of the wheel, but I spoke to Woodward about it and the tech thought I was crazy. They run this steering in Sprint Cup cars and you see some long arms when you see them on T.V. I was the only one in the shop that wanted to run extra support. The guy at Woodward told me you cannot run 3 spherical bearings in sequence as it will cause binding.

The cross tube we added is welded back to the fire wall cross brace with plate (3 places) and small angle to stiffen the plate. If I were to do it again I would use round tubing for the brace and move the bearing closer to the dash. We have some time into this and I did not want to reconfigure it to move the column bearing out. The present location of the column bearing does add some integrity down to the foot box bearing because of the shorter beam.

Things I like - it is very positively located, positively attached (the nut is 1 1/8), and it is lighter.

Concern (unfounded ?) - bending moment from column bearing to wheel (tubing is quite robust).

I am going to run it - if it is not adequate we will rebuild it.

Side note => With the 225 tires and 175lb off of the front, the steering is quite easy.

chr