View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     
Default Attaching CVs to driveshafts (US=axles)

Driveshaft - I am referring to the shafts between the diff and the rear wheel hub on IRSs.

On all production vehicles I have observed, the CV is slid over a splined end until it butts up against a shoulder on the shaft. A circlip (C clip) is then attached to locate the CV in position. In this configuration any 'plunge', which is necessary to allow for overall length adjustment when control arms swings through an arc, is an internal function of the CV, i.e. the CV does not slide on the shaft splines.

I require relatively short shafts and to have them made up is quite expensive. I have been alerted to the fact the CVs I will be using (Holden) are a universal item based on 930 Porsche CVs. They are popular in off-road buggies and as well as the CVs there are plenty of after-market driveshafts available at a fraction of the cost quoted to have one-offs made.

The idea is that I could machine a new circlip groove at the distance to suit my application and cut off the excess shaft.What concerns me is that the after-market shafts have no shoulder and I'm worried about the CV moving along the splines.

Is anyone experienced with off-road buggies, or experienced at all with CVs fitted without a locating inner shoulder. Thanks

CV Assembly