View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Best use of the car is the question.......

For street:
You want:
side curtains
pump gas
Rotatable tires - 289
comfort
able to hold conversations with guest
Most of all in my book, you will not have 25 other cars at a car show that look like you.

That is what led me to mine............... Hertz gold, 289 comp with LeMans character.. The only one like it in NH for sure.
What's ironic is that I attended a local car show this past weekend and the ONLY Cobra there was a 289 ERA. Go figure.

I wanted something "unique" too, so I went with a polished aluminum Cobra. So, we all have our varying definitions of what is considered "unique."

There are definitely less 289's out there, but that's probably for a couple reasons. One, they're only now being made in larger numbers by ERA, SPF, CSX and KMP. Two, I believe the 289's appeal to a smaller audience, which may or may not be an issue for resale. As an example, Kirkham has been offering both 289 and 427 models for a very long time and the 427/SC outsells them all by a large margin.

And you can certainly build a "driver" 427 Cobra. Bernie (BMK), from the Australian Cobra group, has a Kirkham with a 468 FE and something like 1,000,000 miles (an exaggeration, but it's alot of miles/km's, maybe 15,000 in 2 years). With proper selection of parts, an FE can be a very nice driver.

Again, ERA makes a wonderful Cobra. It's whatever appeals to you and marks most of, or all, the boxes on your list.