View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsnake View Post
Ozone is also a major contributor to corrosion inside a distributor with high energy ignition systems. In combination with atmospheric moisture it can make things look like they've been immersed in salt water. Vented caps or distributors with vents help reduce ozone buildup.
Poor rotor phasing may also be a contributor to excessive ozone generation, due to longer sparks inside the cap.

Barnsnake,

I think you are onto something …

I decided to look through some of my photos and found this one from the motor install.

Nice and clean looking distributor with no surface rust. I had forgotten that I took the distributor cap off, the power of pictures. I am sure that if there was the corrosion under the cap at that time, I would have noticed it. The motor at that point only had the dyno run time on it.

Since I know there has been no water from hosing down the motor nor from driving in the rain, the Ozone theory causing the corrosion is looking very likely indeed. I assume the distributor caps are not vented so as to not to introduce dirt moisture under the cap.

Barnsnake called it … has anyone else seen this type of issue?

Has anyone drilled vent holes into the cap? If so, how big, how many & where and did it work?