View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Patrick - still awaiting the next shipment of trailer relays from Summit (this time I ordered two of them) but I did a little more testing.

I think I verified this before but when the brake is pressed I have power at the red wire entering the trailer relay. Applying 12V at the fuse connections to the rear lights gets me a brake light there. So brake light circuits are good from both ends to the relay.

I went back to the flasher unit - with ignition on, I get 12V at both the brown and yellow wires. Brown is power from down by the brake light switch and yellow feeds the turn signal switch. However, with my test light I get a bright bulb on the brown and a much weaker bulb on the yellow. I guess this is due to the flasher relay. It doesn't appear possbile to stimulate the flasher into activation by merely applying 12 power to it - not sure what that takes. I also tested the resistance between the yellow and brown leads and got 400 ohms, but again - I guess that has something to do with the flasher unit itself.

I next applied 12V power to the Y/R lead to the turn signal switch, and checked for power at the green and yellow wires leading to the fuses. On the left turn signal I got a lit test lamp on the left wire going to the trailer relay. On the right signal I got a lit test lamp on the right side wire going to the trailer relay. Neither L or R signal generated a bright bulb. This makes it appear the turn signals may be OK.

I also broke apart the original trailer relay and fooled around with it. Interestingly, it has a row or resistors/diodes/who know what else fed off of the red, yellow and green leads and not a one of them had any continuity across the legs. Every last one of them was dead as could be. I couldn't get an Ohm meter tone across any of them.

I'm beginning think that the 2A quick blow fuses are on the wrong side of the trailer relay. It looks like this thing needs some fused protection on the incoming sied rather than the outgoing circuits to the rear lights.

I haven't heard back any further from Bob. I hoped he might have some observation or suggestion based on his knowledge of the system.

Hopefully the new relays will be here Monday. I think I will install the next one without soldering the connections in case the heat from that is part of the problem.