View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
Bill and I were doing some troubleshooting on my setup, reduced oil pressure thing. He was wanting to know the oil pressure prefilter and at the inlet of the engine.

While you're plumbing, you might incorporate a fitting to take pressure prior to all your accessories and maybe another after prior to the engine.

Dailey should put a pressure tap on the pump at each stage. Scavenge stages as well.

We always put them in the pumps after we got them from whatever vendor.

We used each tap on the dyno and once telemetry got going we ran them all the time. Great help in monitoring the life state of the engine and gave real time warning in case of a problem.

Of course we used pressure taps at the back end of plumbing runs, and multiple engine galley taps as well.

As far as the fittings question Ant, We always tried to limit items that produced a big pressure drop on the scavenge side. (like 90's or thermostats)

We did run oil coolers on the scavenge side on FA cars (Cos BDD engine) as we had so much trouble with coolers starting to fail at the fins. It often allowed us to finish a race as the pressure was so low that the leak was limited and we had enough in the tank to make it.

The pressure side is not so critical.

Have you been given a oil-flow map for your engine? Helps to know so you can calculate the flow requirements.

How about a coolant map? Used to really piss me off when the engine builders would not provide these as it made the radiator sizing, plumbing and air flow impossible to design.

Richard Hudgins