View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Received the two additional trailer relays today and tried bench testing them - heavy emphasis on tried. First, I tried checking continuity through them and got nothing - probably not unexpected for a transister relay.

Then I hooked up a jumper from fuse 5 to the red wire and my test lamp to a ground and checked each of the two trailer outputs for any sign of life - nada. Then I hooked power to the green and yellow inputs alternately and checked the outputs with my test light - again nada - no sign of life. Checked the fuse 5 connection to the relay lead each time with my test light and got light.

Then I hooked it up to my battery charger set on 2 Amps and repeated the same tests with my test light hooked up to the ground side - got no sign of life at all.

Tested the other relay I received with the charger and got nothing from it also.

Either all of these things are all dead or they take some sort of load to make them operate like the flasher or the voltage regulator. But what would it be? The brake light power is from a simple switch and the light bulbs shouldn't be much load. The turn signals get power from the flasher but from most of my testing it's not even a full 12 volts.

Not sure where to go from here.