View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Don't know if it will measure up but in my twenties was at a friend's house when his cousin came over. Neither the friend nor the cousin were car people. Cousin mentioned he needed an oil change in his Datsun and was complaining about not having the funds to take it to a shop. Mentioned that oil changes were a slam dunk and we could do it right in the driveway. Went to the local parts store and got 4 qts. of the recommended oil and a filter and wrench. Used a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag for a drain pan.
Spun off the filter and replaced with new. Ducked under the car, pulled the drain plug, drained the oil, replaced the drain plug and added the recommended amount of oil to the crank case. Gave it a few minutes to drain down and checked the dipstick to see if it needed more. Took a couple of minutes and another look under the car to figure out why the dipstick showed about 4 qts. more oil than it needed. Back under the car and removed the oil pan drain plug (left the tranny drain plug alone since I had already removed it and drained the transmission when I was under the first time) and drained all 8 qts. out of the engine before making another trip to the parts store for another 4 qts of engine oil and enough transmission fluid to refill the tranny that I'd drained by mistake the first go around.
So much for my rep as a "car guy".
DonC