View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How difficult is the build of an ERA?

I've been dreaming of building a Cobra kit since as long as I can remember - and I'm just about getting to a point in my life that makes it possible.
Just turned 30 and bought a house with a double garage.

How much space does it require and how mechanically difficult is the build? I briefly skimmed through the assembly manual they have online - but it didn't show most of the images - so I couldn't really tell if the manual was great or not.

I'm a certified aircraft technician, I can take a Bombardier aircraft apart and put it together again, but my car wrenching is limited to replacing brake and suspension parts and one engine rebuild - but it was only an inline 4. On the good side, my aircraft background would probably make me really really nitpicky with everything to get it as tidy as possible.

I live in Norway, and our amateur built vehicle regulations require the car to be assembled by the owner. Even a rolling chassis is a no-go.

Would you let the kids into the garage to help on the build? I have kids 6 and 9 years old, letting them take part would be a really nice way to keep, at least the oldest one, home for a few hours every weekend through his teens.

For those of you who built your ERAs yourself, if you were to build another Cobra, would you go ERA again?

Thanks in advance