View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog246 View Post
Its a real shame about the slow and painful demise of Sidchrome tools.
My dad back in the day worked for the Aust. Atomic Energy Commission and every year they tested all hand tools to destruction, and every year it was Sidchrome that toppped the list, ahead of the likes of Stahlewille, Snap-on, Britool etc and stayed that way until the sale of Scruttins who owned Sidchrome. They lasted about 12-18 months and then the quality really started to drop off apparently.
Hi Rog246,

I was not aware that Scruttins had a stake in Sidchrome. As far as I know Scruttins were an industrial supply company and would never have had the legs to purchase Sidchrome. I knew that Stanley bought them out in 1990 and proceeded to change the name to Proto-Sidchrome and then dropped the Sidchrome name altogether and replaced the product with Proto. Aussies reacted to this move in no mean fashion and boycotted Proto as an over priced Made in USA product and would not have a bar of it.

After a long period in the wilderness, Sidchrome advertising started cropping up on bill boards all over the place with the re-invented "you canna hand a man a grander spanner" slogan and this was the time that Victor Bray and his door slammer started sporting Sidchrome sponsorship.

Sidchrome manufacturing never resumed in Australia and were supplied from Taiwan from the same suppliers that supply several large tool brands available here, same product, different brands and all are acceptable quality

The arrogance exercised by the purchaser of Sidchrome to change the name of an icon and expect to get away with it was beyond belief. I was working in the tool industry at the time (and still do) and can remember the disbelief when we first started to hear the rumours. Reminds me of the time the boffins decided to change the Re-Po polish bottle from a glass container with a finger hole to a plastic squeeze bottle, sales disappeared over night. Re-po came back to the market with a plastic bottle with a finger hole and exists to this day.

Rog246, if you know some more info than what I have about Scruttins, please let me know as I have a great interest in Australian tools, particularly being the Agent for one of Australia's "still standing" hand tool manufacturers which got it's start in 1921.

I am also digging out my Sidchrome tool set (open end, ring and socket set) that I got from my parents for my 21st birthday in January 1971 and giving it a clean up this week end. I also have John Siddons book "Spanner in the Works".

All info will be greatly received.

Cheers

Russell