View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

That is the timing numbers I was thinking, but I'm a concerned about detonation.

My biggest concern is not being able to hear pinging over the side pipes and wind. I was thinking about how to rig a stethoscope to the engine that I could wear and drive.

The link to the plug reading is very interesting. I'm trying to think how I could do a long full throttle run and then shut it down and let it cool off to pull the plugs.

When I first saw the Ford WOT timing table, I assumed that it was being added to the base timing. 32-36 deg seemed about right. I have been assured by one expert that it is not being added to the base. Its only getting 22-26 deg from 3500-5000 rpm.

It does explain why I can roll out of the throttle and at about 3/4 throttle feel a big surge in power. I can roll into the throttle and break the tires loose in 2nd gear, but if I stomp it, it will not. Its because there is a significant drop in timing when it switches to the WOT timing table. The normal timing table is based on load and with the MAF scaled to 19/36 of actual air, it thinks the engine is at a much lower load and pulls in more timing.