View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

The MN inspection for one of these cars really isn't a big deal. The bigger hassle is actually getting the appointments and waiting your turn at the shop if they're busy. The inspector made a half-hearted effort to verify my chassis and engine numbers and made sure I at least had seat belts, turn signals and headlights. My first inspection resulted in the expected failure because I did not have a title or a MN approved VIN.

I sent the failed inspection paperwork to the DMV, who issued a VIN and instructed me to make another inspection appointment to get my VIN attached. At that appointment I was given a "pass" and then just had to go pay for the title/registration.

I saved myself weeks of time by (1) setting my second inspection appointment at the inspection shop before I left the premises, and (2) by calling the DMV to let them know when my second inspection was set so that they would get my VIN paperwork done on time.

After it's all said and done, just pay the exhorbitant license/registration fees each and every year thereafter.

Curious about MN charging you sales tax for what they assumed fair market value would be. I too had all of my receipts and was charged sales tax for what was on my receipt.