View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
Holy thread revival Bat Man!
Hi Stefan, what calipers, discs etc did you end up with?
I've come to the conclusion that the Wilwoods I had from you aren't going to cut it.
As I suspect you found.
I just can't get enough front braking as it is.
I really don't want to fit a servo.
I have 5.98 sq" of piston area with 4 pots, what did you get by going to 6 pistons?
Did you go with bigger diameter discs too or just thicker?
Hi Kevin, the brakes with the 4 pots worked alright. I am using 3/4" master cylinders (one for front and one for back, with balance bar) and no servo and did not have problems.
What bore size master cylinder are you using?
On some rallies with plenty of curves and lots of hard braking the brakes would get very hot and the brake fluid would start boiling, leaving me with no brakes up front.
I decided to install larger discs and calipers. I have 12.75" diameter vented discs, 1.25" thick and Billet Superlite SL6 calipers with narrowed outer body.
Piston area is actually less than on your calipers (4.04 sq"). I think the 6 pot calipers are smaller and will fit into a wheel where 4 pot ones will not.

I had to do a lot of measurements to make sure it would all fit inside the 15" Halibrand wheels. And it all did. Just one mm of space between one outer edge of the caliper body and the wheel, and no weight can be fitted inside the wheel or it will get scarped off.
Braking is now incredible, almost like having a servo. Easy push and unrelenting deceleration is what I have now.
Pads are Polimatrix E Compound front and back, with a pressure limiter for the rear brakes.
Fitting the brakes needed me making a special hat and adapters to fit the lug mount calipers on to the Jaguar front axle.
I also fed a hose from the front openings to the calipers for cooling.

If you need info on how I did it let me know.
best
Stefan