View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you have the 6-pin version and not the dreadful 5 pin version where the drive pins clamp and hook the wheels, you shouldn't have a problem.

There is an older thread about how Kirkham offered to solve the 5-pin (drive pin) problem by making a cnc milled version (same as CAV GT40s).

I found 14 years ago that the 5-pins bind because they are not "true" and square. Those drive pins are not made for the purpose of driving wheels from the inside. Yes, dozens of mechanics and manufacturers (inluding Superformance) made that mistake!

Just clamp a 1/2"x20 bolt with one of those drive pins screwed on in your drill or lathe and watch them wobble and shake like a wild derwish.

Don't ever attempt to bend the pins straight before mounting the wheel. You are merely deforming the bolt (of the hub) which at best bends back once the wheel is on (clamping it!), or at worst brakes.

I feel that those pins even point the wheel ever so slightly towards the wing nut that you can't get them off.

The 6-pin version, as found on CSX cars, Contemporary and ERA are properly machined pins.
In almost 10 years driving with CCX adapters I never had a problem taking wheels off.

Good luck!